Thursday, November 17, 2005

What is Kaiandumphaland?

What is "KAIANDUMPHALAND"...?
This is a nurturing place for a little boy to learn in his formative years the things that he will carry on in later life. This is the place where he will learned that the word "NO" has an alternative "YES."
He had learned things like when it is hot...you don't touch. He knows that there is a boundary when we are outside...not to pass the curb because there are cars coming. It is amazing how he can maneuver himself in the backyard without getting "bung" (that is our word for being hurt). My mini jungles have many steps and walkways paved with broken pieces of cement slabs. There are times when we are together, he will be gone and I will find that he has climbed some steps to reach some "geen" apples or behind the bushes looking for snails.

I am the first grandson of my grandparents. I was always in my grandparent's house. My grandmother on my mother side had her last child a few months before I came. Unfortunately the child died and I became the surrogate child for her. Because my sister came just eight months after me, it was a big help for both of them. I am very close to my grandparents in my mother side. As a matter of fact I call my grandmother "Inay" (Filipino word for mother) and whenever somebody asked my grandmother who am I, she will say that I am her youngest son. I learned a lot from my grandmother and I was as close to my grandfather ("itay" Filipino word for father) as to her. I don't think I was spoiled by them...they taught me a lot of things. I can still envision the "katon" board (ABC's) where I learned my letters. Today I am taking the opportunity to do the same with Kai.

Kai being very active from the very start, I called him "kiti-kiti" (larvae of the mosquitoes) because there is a never ending action going on. Very active! True to his astrological sign: "RAM," I am afraid that I have a little RAMBO on my hands. Today, just before Mike arrived to pick him up, he wants me to ride one of his cars and him on the other one..."come on umpha...ride." Could you imagine me on that little car!?! I have to fake it by crouching on all fours to manuever the little car. I am glad that it is in the house and not outdoors. What will the neighbors think!!!

It was funny for us yesterday because for the first time in a while, he had a nap. As usual, he was with umma for his daily park visit. They came back early and he was sleeping in his stroller...and it was not even ten o"clock yet. He slept about forty minutes...Boy was he mad when he woke up! Like he missed something. We usually drive around the block so I can get him to sleep. At times we go to Montgomery Field and watch the small plane takes off. On the way home, he will be conked-out.

We have not gone driving for a while now. He does not want to go home if he is awake. "go...go umpha" that is what he will say. He calls my van "umpha truck." He knows everybody car and van in the area. Umma car in the garage! He can tell you if that is a school bus, city bus, taxi , fire truck, police car or just big trucks. But his favorite truck is the garbage truck. The drivers know him well.
Every Wednesday, when he hears the garbage trunk..."garbage truck coming-coming umpha...go...go!" Here we go rushing to go outside and try to catch the garbage trunk pick-up the trash.

He is very appreciative when you give him anything that is new. Today, he was satisfied and very happy with little pieces of sawn tree branches that were left on the ground when a ficus tree was trimmed next door. He collected them and them brought home. He also found and brought home with him a plastic shell sand mold from the park. "Umpha geen shell" showing me his new found toy. Since I have a lot of shells...I told him to wait and I will show him something. I brought a cookie tin full of shells...Reaction: "Wow! meni-meni shells!" He started to pick and inspect each one and when he came to and old calcified larger shell. He called it: '
"dinosaur shell." Lately everything that looks old and ragged, he will classify them as part of the dinosaur family. Even the lava rocks that is in their aquarium has been classified as such. That's the mind of a creative little boy!

1 Comments:

Blogger dionne said...

very smart kid! no wonder his umpha's very proud of him. =)

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home