Friday, February 09, 2007

FROM THE MOUTH OF AN ALMOST FOUR YEARS OLD

RANDOM PHRASES FROM KAI;

There are times that he really amazes me! Occasionally he will blurt-out some phrases that I don't expect coming from him. I know that he is very retentive, but remembering them even a week passed or so, is something.

I have jotted down some of them and will share them with you;

1.) "I am happy in Umpha house"

This came around when he was ready to go home. There are times that he just does not want to go with Tisha when she comes to pick him up. This is not new...this has been a problem for quite a while. He just likes to prolong his stay in Umpha's house. Thinking about it...I too did not want to go home when I was with my grandparents. What can I say ..."like Umpha, like grandson."

2.) "I am back"

Three Wednesdays ago, this was the phrase that came from him. I guess this means that after a week of his absence, he is back to his Umpha's house.

3.) "I like that. It is delicious"

Anything that you let him try for the first time...when he likes, that will be what he will be saying and he will ask for more.

4.) "I live in San Diego, Africa"

Ask him where he lives and that will be the answer. I guess he got the idea that Africa must be a nice place because of all the animals that live there. Lately we are trying to correct him to include their house numbers and omit the Africa and say California instead.

5.) "Ay Caramba"

This must had came from "Diego Go Diego" toon that he likes to watch. They interchange the dialogues in Spanish and English.

6.) "Ay Diyos Ko"

He learned this from me. It means "Oh My God" in Tagalog. This is one of the first Tagalog he has learned before he was three years old.

7.) "Takaw and Kalawakaw and OA (overacting)"

There are times that he will sing and Umma will say you are "kalawakaw" meaning he is out of tune; anyway he loves to sing. "Takaw" means eating a lot. There are times that when he does not like anything, he will make faces, sometimes will have his eyes half-closed with his head up. With the posing and attitude we call him "OA." Now when we ask him , "who is takaw and kalawakaw and OA...he will say; "Kai Van Patten.'

8.) "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

This is a very important song for him. Every time he goes to the bathroom to pee, even though he has not touched himself, "I have to wash my hands." Tisha taught him the song...to use as a "timer." He knows that after the song he is done washing and ready for a towel. He does not want to have a dirty hand. Whenever I am with him, I always have a damp hand towel so he can wipe his hands.

9.) "Umpha will spank her on the cheek"

There is a little girl about his age in the neighborhood and at times they play together. Her name is Lulu. We uses her as a ruse so he will eat. We tell him that Lulu will come over and eat everything. "No it's mine." "Umpha will spank her in the cheek." Of course he will eat with the "OA" posing. This mostly happens when we are introducing him to something new or that hasn't tasted before.

10.) "I have to find some treasures"

He was promised that he will get a treasure if he doesn't wet his diaper but tells us when he wants to pee or poo. He is very good in my opinion in telling us that he needs to use the bathroom. He knows that Umma keeps the "treasure" in the storeroom, he will go there and will try to find any. There are times that he will open the door and when asked what are he is doing there..."I have to find a treasure" that is what he will tell you. He is not very choosy...last Wednesday, Umma gave him a "Crayola" portable radio with head phone. He exclaimed; "WOW! I like it. We have to get some batteries. I will get my screwdriver." The funny thing is he was so anxious to open the battery case using his screw driver. "I can do it, I am strong." So I let him; sort of guided him to open the case and he was happy that he was able to open it...with Umpha's help.

11.)"Oh! I forgot"

He was reluctant to go home the other Wednesday (nothing unusual)..so I asked for a hug...he hugged me and kissed me...resigned to go home and I told him "how about Umma?" He turned around and said, "Oh I forgot." Umma got her hug and kiss too.

12.) "Umphaaaaaaaa! come and watch "Tom and Jerry" with me. He wants me to lie down with him under the blanket, sitting side by side we watched his favorite show together.

13.) "I sit on your head...I am your hat."

While we were watching TV and as usual laying under the blanket...he stood up and sat on my forehead. That was his comment.

14.) "I have to plant some seeds"

We have been eating cherimoya from the garden. He loved it after he tasted it...but was so fascinated with the seeds. He remembers that I let him plant some wax gourd seeds before and he remembers that they grew. After lunch, we went out in the the backyard and he planted some seeds. Maybe he will be a gardener too like Umpha.

There must be some more phrases that may be included here...at the moment this will do for now. I haven't started the "WWII YEARS" memories...it might be on the next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home