Monday, January 16, 2006

I GOT A BOY HERE IN MY HANDS

Antics and Mischiefs
I can define Kai-Kai as "really a boy!"
From the very beginning he started to walk, he was always into everything! He was always interested in everything that was around him. I remember that he used to have his little hands inside the waist of his pants and walked with a swagger like cowboy. When our neighbor saw him, her comment was, "Man, that is really a man thing." Funny thing is that the swagger walk became a "penguin walk." We still stomp our feet like the Germans when we march. He knows that the dumbbells are for exercise..."one two...one two."
He was introduced to worms, rolly-pollies, spiders and snails in the backyard. Today that was what we are doing in the backyard. He remembers that to look for worms, he has to upturn stones and sometimes tilt the flower pots. He knows that he will be lucky to find them there. Some parents will be squeamish about this. I know Tisha won't pick up a worm or a snail! I provide him with a stick to explore the crevices, nooks and crannies in the yard. We have no luck for spiders today. Today, he was near the fence and lifted a five gallon water bottle aside and he was able to find a worm. He was so excited. "Umpha...Umpha worm!" Poor worm! It was picked and poked! Later we hunted for some snails. Since it is getting cold nowadays, the snails are coming out, but they are small ones. One thing he learned from Umpha is we have to step on them. He use to do that himself, but not lately. He will pick the snail and place it next to my foot. "Umpha step!" He will not do this anymore because he does not want an "eeew" on his foot. He always inspects the soles of his shoes to see if they are dirty and when they are..."Umpha clean." Lately he has started to use the doormat before entering the house. Washing his hands after we have been exploring outside is no problem...of course he loves water.
He love girls! He played with the two small girls across the street and he even remembers the name of one of the girls...Lulu. It was only lately that he can relate to the boys in the park...but cautiously. This is one thing that his Umma who mostly accompanies him in the park is working on. A few weeks back, the park caretaker noticed that and he commented, "So you don't talk to strangers huh." Probably in due time he will be able to be more sociable. He is only comfortable with the people he knows. I would like him to learn to shake hands when introduced to someone...like his uncle would do when he was a small boy in Italy. Rodin would extend his hand whenever introduced to somebody.
I was doing something today and I noticed that he is wiping the floor with a paper towel. I asked him what is he doing and he answered me..."I'm cleaning house." I left him alone, but Umma came later and said, "Look what your grandson is doing!" The paper towel was un-rolled all over the dinning room. He was laughing while I tried to roll the paper back on to the tube. He tried to catch the end of the roll and I think that was some fun for him...That's my boy!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home