Wednesday, February 14, 2007

NEVER HAD ONE

For the first time in my life I caught a "stye" on the corner of my eye. I was preparing preparing lunch when I felt something itchy on the corner of my eye. I thought I had an attack of my allergy...I took one Claritin right away. When Umma and Kai came back from the park, I told Umma about it and she immediately said it is a "stye" or what we call "koliti" in the Philippines. Told me to put a hot compress right away. I had been doing that and it seems to help abate the itching. This caught me in surprise because I never had this before. In the Philippines...old wives tales tell you that you get "koliti" if you peeked on someone laviciously...LOL Very funny indeed. According to the website, it is a common infection of the hair follicle of an eyelash. It appears due to the debilitated condition of the system.
Home Remedies For Treatment of Eye Stye:
Rub a clove spice in water and apply it over the stye to relief pain.
Use a grated potato as poultice to reduce swelling in inflamed eyes.
Slit an aloe leaf lengthwise and place the pulpy side on the sore eye.
Boil 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds with a cupful of water like an herbal
tea preparation to wash eyes 3-4 time a day.
Boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric in 2 cups of water until it reduces in half.
Cool and strain 4-5 times through a fine muslin. Apply as eye drops
3-4 times a day.
Take one cup of water. Dissolve 2-3 granules of alum in it,
use as eyewash.
Guava leaves, warmed and place on a damp cloth, and then use
as compress on the eyelids.
Boil a handful of acacia leaves into two cups of water to make a
decoction and apply it as compress on the eyelid.
Eye Stye Tips
As preventive measure, never put your hand in your infected eye because your hands are full of germs, and allow the eyes stye to rupture on its own. Never ever "pop" a stye like a pimple because it might cause an infection to spread or transfer from one eye to another. Many eye infections are contagious and an eye stye does require a high standard of hygiene.
HAPPY VALENTNE UMPHA...
As usual on Wednesday, I lit up the fire place for Kai. It is not to cold, about 56 degrees outside but I know he will expect me to have the fire ready when he opened the door. I have some twisted papers for him to throw into the fire. "it is a big "fi-e'er." That's what he calls them when the paper get burned into flame. He enjoys doing that. I think he thinks that he is helping Umpha build a fire.
We had some deep fried Tilapia with black bean and tofu sauce for lunch. I bought four fish at the market today, fried them all but used only one with the sauce. I prepared some smoked beef polish sausage, cut in strips, pickled sugar beets and frozen persimmons...these were eaten later because he preferred to eat the fried fish instead. "its crispy...I like crispy fish!"
After lunch, he wanted to watch TV with Umpha. "Umpha come and sit with me. let's watch Tom and Jerry." It seems that this will be a regular routine for us. I have to share in his exuberance; the giggles and laughs of the antics of the two characters we are watching. An hour later Umma and him went next door to give his Valentine presents to the two little girls across the street.
He wanted to paint today...so he got his colors and pulled some papers and started to pour paint on the paper. I let him finished three pieces, mostly reds and a touch of blues and purples. I think he has changed his color preference. "red is my favorite color." That was what he had been muttering repeatedly
while pouring the red paint. So..."pop-pul" is out!
HAPPY VALENTINE UMPHA...!
He gave me 2 KITKATS, 2 HERSHEY'S, 2 REESE'S and 6 KISSES for Valentine.
I think he should have his own computer when he moves to his new room. He saw the game I was playing..."LUXOR" and asked to sit on my lap so he can play it. With my help with the mouse, he was was enjoying the game. He does not like to go to the dining room for lunch. He was begging "not yet please...please Umpha." "let's play the bug." I was really caught off guard when he used the word "please." Of course I was able to pacify him, explaining that we are going to be back after we eat..."we will eat first and then we will beat the bugs." "we will eat first so you can be very strong." That did it!
He will get a regular bed which will be our birthady gift for him. He likes to have a sea creatures for decoration. We are in the market for some sea creatures that he will like. I found some ceramic mobiles of fish and seahorse. He imediately fell in love with it and showed his delights.
I have to think of some ploy, something to tell him when it is time for him to go home. Today was not so bad...even though there was a resistance, he was distracted with the "treasures" he got today. The "Treasure Monster" was a big help to cool him and I was able to carry him to the car without too much of a fuss. I think when I told him that he can come back again also did it. He needed that reassurance. I can see in the future...he will be showing up at the door whenever he feels to do so and I will be very grateful about that. We will see about that...who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home