Wednesday, January 18, 2006

BOREDOM

POOR FRANKIE
While we are outside in the backyard doing things that we usually do...like looking for snails, bugs and spiders, I noticed the little boy next door was also in their backyard...but alone. It has been a habit of Kai to peek between the fence boards to see what is happening or just to be nosey. I joined him and peeked too. Frankie, that is his name, was hitting the tether ball with a baseball bat. He looked bored...just hitting the ball repeatedly without any emotion...He is bored! I feel sad for him.
I had a falling out with his parents...I guess they just took for granted that whatever they do to us as neighbors will be alright. I guess they never really got to know me. The situation was not done once, but happened twice since they moved next door. The last episode was when my big pine bonsai's limbs hung extended over into their property. They decided to cut them...I had no qualms about it. However, the last straw that got my dander was after they cut it, they dumped them on my side of the fence. When I saw this...my blood pressure rose so much that I felt hot! I picked up the branches and hurled them randomly onto their driveway. Since I was alone with Kai at that time, both of us marched next door, pushed the door bell incessantly and when Helen (the wife) came out to check...the first word that came out from my mouth was..."God-dam you and your husband. if you cut it, throw it yourself but not in my yard!" "This is not the first time you have done this and if you ever do this again you are going to hear from my lawyer!" "I want to be a good neighbor, but it won't be hard to be a very bad one." She just stood there frozen and was still standing that way when Kai and I left. I think Kai and I made our point that day. Her husband came home from work during his lunch break and apologized. Since then, we just ignore them, they know for sure that this is one "flip" who will not kow-tow to anybody of their kind.
Anyway, Kai and I enjoyed our afternoon in the backyard today. While we are there I came to think how lucky we are. I got him and he got me. While watching him, I was reflecting...what if I was younger when he came to us? I don't think it would be as enjoyable and meaningful than the present. If I am younger and not retired yet from the Navy, I would miss out on a lot of things about him. We can't be together like this at all. I missed out a lot when Rodin and Tisha were growing up. I have to be in the ship which sometimes would be gone for six month deployments. I don't have any guilt about it. It's the reality of our life then! I know that their Mom will be their even though she had to work too. Tisha was taken cared of by my mom, her "Babba." That was a big help. Rodin grew up very independent.
We know very well by now that Kai is a very active little fellow. He needs all kind of activities to sustain him for the day. At times, at the middle of the day, he can tire me down so much that I would like to be curled up anywhere and take a nap right then and there...He won't let me close my eyes or else you will hear..."wake up!" Other than that, you will hear at the end of whatever sentence he will utter..."Umpha...umpha...umpha." This is a sure wake-up call!
Mike...you will have to give him all the time you can spare and be patient about it!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home