Sunday, March 19, 2006

YOUNGEST ARTIST

A de KOONING IN THE MAKING?
At age 2, he's the youngest artist ever to have a one "man" show at the Mixed Media Gallery in San Diego, says Gallery artist Erin Harold. Kai Van Patten was given some crayons at 8 months of age and has been drawing ever since. He graduated to brushes at the age of two. Of course, Kai had some helpful tips from his grandpa, multimedia artist Jose R. Morales Jr.
Galley show proves toddler has art talent
About 35 of Kai's abstract pieces, some on large canvases, were in the two-weeks "Almost Three" show that Closed Wednesday. Kai Learned the names of colors ("pupol" is his favorite) as he progressed. Morales says he can't consider Kai a talent yet, but it's a start. Several of Kai's artworks were sold.
by: Diane Bell
The San Diego Union Tribune
Saturday, March 18, 2006
I sent several press releases before Kai-Kai's show. The Reader and the Asian Journal were the only ones that picked up the press release. I guess, some of the publications were skeptical that an almost three years old boy can produce some valid art pieces. I also sent a press release to one of the cultural writers of the Union Tribune, but she didn't even acknowledge my email. The decision to email Diane Bell all of the data, pictures of Kai at work, his calling card and the invitation was at the last moment, because the show was already in progress. Diane replied to my email and asked a few questions. Her column comes on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Tuesday was gone, Thursday was gone and no write-up. Friday, while Tisha was having lunch she told me that there is a message from Diane Bell, and how she left her phone number...That was two days after I had dismantled the show."Too late!", that was what I said. I really did not plan to call her, but I guess she decided to call the Gallery and was able to talk to Erin Harold, one of the artists there, because Saturday, lo and behold, there was the write up about Kai's show!
It was a very nice feeling to see the name of my protege' in a major paper beat his uncle on this matter. Rodin did not get in the paper until he was 4 1/2 years of age, but it was for an art exhibition where he won two awards, a first prize and the "Best in Show" the same evening. Kai will be going in that direction in the near future...I have something on my mind about that...it will be a surprise.
I immediately emailed Tisha and Mike, Judy and Dick, Carole Beth and a few of the people that I know who read the newspaper, but at times will not read Diane Bell's column. I got an email from art professor Anita Brenolf...congratulating both of us. Stephanie, from next door was not able to attend the opening but had to reread the paper because she is one of those who skipped Diane Bell's column. Stuart and Joyce, who bought "Green Fantasies" don't subscribe, but they were going to buy a paper when I told them about it.
Recently there was an article in the paper about parents and grandparents being braggarts. Well...well...! I am not doing it too the extremes, but yes! My Kai-Kai made it in the newspaper and he is not even three years old. How about that???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home